Robin Bengtsson criticises Salvador’s winning speech

A few days after the Eurovision Song Contest 2017 took place, Sweden’s contestant Robin Bengtsson has posted a statement on Instagram regarding Salvador Sobral’s winning speech. Parts of the speech had already sparked controversy, as well as praise.

“Below the level of a true winner”

Robin Bengtsson seems to be a little unhappy with Salvador’s words in Kyiv. In an Instagram post today, Robin paid special attention to the term fast food music. As you can read below, the Swedish contestant feels the so-called fast food music can also be necessary at times and places. He feels that the winning speech was below the level of a true winner. Is Robin totally lashing out against Salvador’s victory? No, he isn’t, as he also sings praises. As he describes, he loves the song and the way Salvador sings it. It is just the speech he has issues with.

In a comment below Robin’s post, Australia’s contest Isaiah Firebrace comments with a short emoji, signalling his agreement to Robin’s post.

The winning speech

In his winning speech, Salvador spoke out in favour of real music, contrary to what he called fast food music. Fast food music, he said, is music without content or feeling. In his speech, Salvador spoke about the music business as a whole, although some feel this is appropriate for the contest itself as well.

Salvador’s words have sparked controversy among Eurovision fans, as well as other music fans. What exactly did Salvador mean? It’s quite hard to determine exactly who he meant by fast food music. Salvador received praise for his words, with people supporting his call for feelings and content in today’s pop music.

On the other hand, Salvador’s speech has been criticised as well. Not just by fellow competitors, but also by the public. Was this the time and place to do it? Was it necessary to say it?

Comments (6)
  1. Danny62 says:

I did say that I thought Sobral’s performance was the most pretentious thing I’d ever seen in the contest. And I’ve watched 49 in a row. When I made that comment, I was shot down in flames in the escXtra chat room, but the winner’s speech confirmed my fears and I’m glad Bengtson (and Firebrace reacted). For years we’ve been defending the contest from musical snobs, but now one of them has gone and won it. I hope something with fireworks wins in Lisbon,

2. Darren H says:

Totally agree with Robins response. I felt disappointed by the unnecessary comments from Salvador, as someone who prefers ‘fastfood’ pop music, to Salvadors music, so i can imagine some of the competitors must feel annoyed at the ‘arrogant’ and unnecessary comment made in his victory speach. Music is personal and not every feels the same about Salvadors ‘proper’ music, and his comments were not befiting of a winner.

3. Kermit says:

Like I have said other places…..I don’t honestly see why it’s so “controverisal”, as some people make of it

He never really critisized anyoene did he…not any muician, song or music style. That a Swedews reacts that way (as Robin does) says a lot about the Swedish “attiriude” to ESC I suppose….!

I think he just echoed what many people loved with his song 🙂 And explained the appeal…Back to basic, pure, honest, original and sophisticated music. No silly ginicks, no uncessearry glamours. Music from the heart….as music should be. Why is that o controversial? I think many people thinkg ESC should be like that 🙂

Nobody should take anything personal here 🙂

OK…maybe he got a bit big headed….But to be honest, it’s understandable right then. I have heard worse, and more arrogant “winning speeches” Dana International had a far more “disincusive” and “bubblethinking”……

BUT I think there should be room for both….simple commerical pop! And more daring sophisticated music. ESC needs both 🙂 Both music can be as nice!

4. Oscar says:

The pretentious contestant is the so called Swedish singer… this was really fast food music. Just trying to win with a really shitty song.

5. The Anders says:

Well, judging by the majority of songs competing in this year’s contest, I do think Salvador Sobral had a point. That’s not to say that there weren’t any good songs, but there were a lot of superficial stuff, lacking musical content, and being based on the same overused musical and lyrical clichés over and over again.

Clearly there have always been some songs with artistic depth, in some years more than in others. In 2013 f.e. the otherworldly beautiful “Birds” by Anouk, in 2014 “Calm After the Storm”, and last year the Ukrainian winner, to name a few. And this year, apart from “Amar pelos dois”, we also had some fascinating and artistic songs from Belgium and Armenia 🙂

I do like a good pop song too, but “I Can’t Go On” really wasn’t. It’s not a good composition.

6. Angel says:

He did not criticize anyone in particular. He just criticized cheap music. When you responded to this, you were included and with that you certify his words. We are a little bit tired of easy jobs that succeed while real professionals are not appreciated. Fast-food music is fine for parties, but not for a SONG festival.

Have your say...